Proper Lifting Techniques for Lifting Heavy Holiday Boxes
At Cornerstone Chiropractic Wellness, our Chiropractor in Lexington, KY has some great advice for your holiday lifting, follow these lifting guidelines to prevent injuring yourself this holiday season, Back Pain is not part of the holiday tradition for most people.
Prevent Back Pain This Holiday Season
Many people do not realize that they can injure themselves by picking up the Thanksgiving Day turkey – think about it a stuffed turkey can weigh about 30 to 35 pounds, that may not seem like much but if you lift the wrong way you’re going to feel it and you’re going to be on your way to visit our Chiropractor in Lexington KY instead of decorating your house, Christmas tree, or doing the Christmas shopping.
Other items most people don’t even think above when they lift them into or out of the shopping cart include gifts flat screen TV or a power tool for your father n’ law can come with an even more expensive price tag – being laid out on the floor or slouched over moving very slowly on Christmas morning.
Items you may not even think twice about picking up because you have done so for several years can also cause injury to your neck, back and shoulders such as the following:
- A box filled with tree decorations
- A box filled with outdoor lights, for decoration
- The Santa and snowman you haul up to roof every year
These items can cause an injury if you do not use the correct body mechanics when lifting them.
Proper Holiday Box Lifting from Our Chiropractor in Lexington, KY
Applying proper lifting practices and body mechanics can help prevent lifting injuries. The most common lifting injury results in Back Pain.
- Don’t make any sudden movements while lifting – make sure there is nothing in your projected path to trip over. Falls can cause just as bad of an injury as incorrectly lifting things
- Always lift with your legs, squat down and place your arms under the holiday boxes, with the box facing you, don’t try to twist into a pretzel to reach a box. Stand close to the holiday box, bend your legs, keep your back straight, then stand up, lifting the box as you stand
- Keeps your feet shoulder-width apart, keeping your balance by distributing the holiday boxes weight evenly on both sides of the body.
If you do injure yourself or are experiencing Back Pain this holiday season contact our Chiropractor in Lexington, KY at Cornerstone Chiropractic Wellness, for a free new patient consultation contact us at 1- 859-253-0038